Government Engineering College, an AICTE approved institute, was established in year 2004. The institute was affiliated with Veer Narmad South Gujarat University (VNSGU), Surat upto 2011 and Gujarat Technological University (GTU), Ahmedabad from 2008. Students admitted before the year 2007 were enrolled in VNSGU and from the year 2008 students are enrolled in GTU. The institute is located in an educational arena surrounded by B.K.M. Science College and Government Polytechnic. It is 3 km from Valsad railway station and 2 km from Tithal sea beach. It is only 30 km from the "Vapi Industrial Estate" which has spread to around 11.4 km with over 1400 industries. Textile giants such as Alok industries, Welspun Terry Towels, Century Textiles, GHCL and Raymonds Limited have strong presence in Vapi and its nearby areas. So, there was need to start engineering institute nearer to such industrial zone, which was the vision of Commissionerate of Technical Education, Education Department, Government of Gujarat, Gandhinagar.